Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Share the Books, Share the Love

I love sharing books. If I won a lottery or stumbled over a pot of gold, I’d probably spend at least a chunk of the booty buying books to read and pass on to others. I’ve lost count of how many copies of Dog Gone and Buck Fever I’ve given away. Sharing books is just pure fun.

It’s probably not surprising, then, that I am always on the lookout for organizations where I can donate books that I’ve read and want to share. So, I’ve done a bit of homework. Below are some organizations that you might like to check out if you have books that you have loved and would now like to share with others.

www.bookends.org/donate_books.htm This nonprofit organization recycles children’s books through student-run book drives. The books are placed in schools and with youth organizations in need.

www.operationpaperback.org This group sends books to American troops deployed overseas.

www.gotbooks.com This is another organization that sends books to U.S. soldiers stationed overseas. This group also sends books to the Walter Reed Memorial Library Center in Washington, D.C. as well as to schools and libraries.

www.readertoreader.org This non-profit organization distributes books to schools and libraries in need.

www.surplusbooksforcharity.org If you happen to be in Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island, Missouri, Washington, or Georgia, this organization collects and sends books to schools and libraries desperately in need of them.

* * *

Reading is rewarding. Sharing the books and sharing the love makes it even more rewarding. Don't you agree?

3 comments:

  1. This was a beautiful book with so many themes. Your character development is outstanding. I can't wait to read Buck Fever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Cathy! What a lovely comment. : ) I hope you like Buck Fever! Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete