Monday, December 6, 2010

An Elf or Two

Raise your hand if you’ve written your letter to Santa. You know, that letter requesting what you might like from the big guy and his elves at this time of year. Since I don’t believe there is an age limit on these requests, I thought I’d share the first draft of my letter:

Dear Santa,

I hope you are well. I’d love to tell you that I’ve been very good this year, but that would be a lie. Okay, I have been pretty awesome in terms of working hard-- on the new novel as well as promoting Dog Gone and Buck Fever. But as you probably know from those spying elves that work for you, my language during the blood, sweat, and tears of the first draft has been, well, somewhat creative and flamboyant at times behind the closed door of my office. Sorry, but writing can be frustrating. And yes, I did almost throw my laptop out a window a few times. But I didn’t, so that should count for something, right?

Anyway, unless you’ve already decided that I am getting coal in my stocking, I’d like to put in a request for something I could really use this year. If it’s not too much trouble, I’d love to borrow one of your elves until the new year. What better gift than to have someone to assist with the holiday shopping, errands, decorating, gift-wrapping, holiday cards, cookie baking, etc. (phew, I’m worn out just listing the things to do). If I had a helper, I’d get more revising done in addition to more reading, blogging, tweeting, and promoting. I might even finish my work-in-progress with less fluorescent language and without Frisbee-throwing my laptop. A finished manuscript under the tree would be awesome!

I’ll leave cookies (store-bought since I’m short on time these days) on the table in case an elf or two arrives while I’m writing at my favorite café.

Thanks, Santa. You’re the best! Even if you can’t spare an elf.

Very truly yours,

Cynthia Chapman Willis

I’m guessing that I’m not the only one who could use an elf or two at this time of year.

5 comments:

  1. oh, yes...an elf would be such a help these days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elves and magic! Wishing you a very special and wonderful Holiday Season. I hope that you get a couple of Elves to come and help bring in some Christmas cheer. Sending you the biggest hug ever Lady!
    Best Wishes,
    V

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tess, I'll share mine with you if I get my wish. ; )

    A wonderful and magical holiday season to you, too, V! And a big hug right back to you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. "a finished manuscript under the tree" Love it! How about you enlist the little people in your home to do the baking? Oh wait, I've done that and turns out, it's actually MORE work that way. But fun.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Too funny and too true, Terry! The elves around this household tend to eat everything they bake, too. But always fun, yes!

    ReplyDelete