Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Bits of Randomness


With the transition from spring to summer, which includes the end of the school year (of course), I find that I'm tying up loose ends. I’ve just finished up my last week of school visits, Skype visits, and bookstore visits. Happy dancing time. That's not to imply that I didn't enjoy these events. They were all big fun and I met lots of amazing and wonderful people. However, I’m itching to write, revise, crawl into my office and lock the door against any and all distractions. My head tells me I must promote and get out into the world with my novels, but often my heart nags me to write the next novel. It's an ongoing battle. Errr, should I admit that?


Anyway, I have a couple bits of random information to share. For example, I’ve

added a “News” page to my website. It will show updates on events and novels and stuff—whatever "stuff" means. Here’s the link: http://cynthiawillis.com/newsletter.html Of course, my timing on this isn't great given that I've just finished a whirlwind few months of events, but I'm happy to have this bulletin board page.


Next up, I want to offer up a big thank you to Susan Fields http://susanfieldswriter.blogspot.com/ for the Irresistibly Sweet Blog Award. This requires that I list seven random facts about myself. Here goes: I love socializing, but I really hate rudeness. I love music, but couldn’t hold a note if it had a handle. I love horses and horseback riding, but I haven’t been on a horse in years. And for me, a perfect day always includes some sort of reading and writing.


Finally, and especially for you writers out there, here's a great article about a six-year-old girl pursuing her publishing dreams. Yup, six-years old. Wow: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/article/20110618/NJBIZ/306180016/Children-pursue-their-publishing-dreams


Okay, those are my random updates. Do you have any random bits of information and "stuff" to share?

22 comments:

  1. They say the best promotion is to write the next book! I'm dealing with the transition to summer too and finding that balance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your perfect day sounds a lot like mine. The horses/horseback riding cracked me up--same here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gotta go read that article about that six-year-old girl. Your post reminds me that I need to post some stuff. So much to do, so little time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd find time to sneak in writing I think. It would be so hard NOT to. :D Wow, a six year old writer. That's amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahh, Laura, now that's my kind of promotion. : )

    We've got a lot in common, MG! I love it!

    I feel like that phrase, "so much to do, so little time," echoes in my head more times than I want to admit, J.L. If only we could stop the clock to catch up.

    It IS hard not to write, Lisa. The withdrawal symptoms actually make me a little nutty. : ) But I guess this is a good thing, right?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the story of the 6-year old!

    And congrats on all the great promotion stuff you've been doing. Isn't it funny . . . we work so hard to get to the point that we CAN promote, but then are annoyed by the time it takes from writing. Such an oxymoron. But I can imagine being the same way!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love to sing, but I always feel sorry for the people sitting near me in church. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love music too, but couldn't play an instrument to save my life!
    Good luck with your balance of writing and promoting! And reading!! My life will be more balanced after the fourth and my grad classes are done!
    Kelly Polark

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a great idea for a news page. I'm going to go and read about the six-year-old writer. Congrats on the award.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Cynthia - I have an award for you on my blog! Please stop by.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lets see, a bit of randomness. We got just under an inch of rain a few nights ago. Not near enough to break the drought, but every little bit helps. We stayed up and watched the lightening, listened to the thunder. I had forgotten what the sound of rain was like. It was wonderful and I hope we get more soon.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's sad but true, Janet. The promotion stuff is great--really fun, but it does eat into precious writing time. But, then, lots of things, do, right? : )

    That's too funny, Susan, but good for you! Sing your heart out.

    Thanks, Medeia. I've been playing around with the idea of a news page/ bulletin board page for a while. I hope it'll will be useful.

    Thanks, Maeve! I will.

    I'm so glad you got some rain, Bish, although I'm sure it's not nearly enough after the drought you-all have been enduring. I hope you get more soon!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks, Kelly! And good luck to you finishing up those graduate classes!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm about to transition to summer next week, which means some frantic last minute edits to my WIP so that I can take the summer easy (well, easier than during the school year).

    Good luck on writing the next book! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great list. I'm with you on music, reading and writing. I've never had much to do with horses, even though I was a country boy.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Sounds like your racing to the finish line, Stina. Good luck! How nice to finish a work and take the summer to breathe! : )

    Thanks, Al. The blogger award really can be fun.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cynthia, wasn't there a time you thought being a writer would be about... well, actually writing? There are so many time sucks, but I guess that's the nature of the gig now. Best of luck with your new novel. Can't wait to hear what it's about!

    ReplyDelete
  18. The news page is a great idea! The six year old is so inspiring. I wish I had gotten an early start like that!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love your bulletin board! What a great addition to your website.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ahh, so true, Eve! And thank you!

    Thanks, Lydia. Yes, I sort of wish I had started writing and publishing when I was six, too. Hind sight is a beautiful thing. : )

    Thanks, Shannon! I'm kind of excited about the new bulletin board, too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your love of music reminds me of something that happened the other day - our daughters were at the observation tower of the bird sanctuary when a woman jogger came by, singing at the top of her lungs. She didn't know all the words and she couldn't sing on key. I admire people who sing even when they can't!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Michelle, that story is hilarious!!! I sort of admire that jogger, but I would have been cracking up if I'd been there. Thanks for sharing that. : )

    ReplyDelete