Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Manuscript Vacations


I would love to know why taking a break from writing and revising a manuscript gives fresh perspective of that work. It is one of those miracles of writing. A writer sends a manuscript away to a cozy drawer or corner hide-away on the computer for a bit and somehow the brain breathes and revives (or something) so that when it’s time to reunite with the manuscript, there is often magic. There is a fresh perspective that smells a lot like clarity. For me, it’s kind of like putting in fresh contacts. This works especially well when I’m not happy with something I’ve written—when things are not working and I’m ripping out way too much hair.


How long a break? I’ve read that a healthy break for a book-length manuscript is a month, which is about right for me. Here’s the rub, though: I am really impatient. I mean, REALLY impatient. A month might as well be a year. With that in mind, here are some things that I do to distract myself while my manuscript vacations:


Go on my own vacation. I wish. Unfortunately, escaping to some tropical paradise for a month break doesn’t usually work out for me, but it’s a nice fantasy.


Get organized. While I’m finishing a novel, I put off tons of life stuff. A manuscript vacation is the perfect time to catch up on everything. This includes cleaning my office, which usually has dropped books and magazines, too many pages, pens, notes, and all kinds of scary miscellaneous stuff in a bizarre semi-circle around my desk by the time I type “The End.” Finding the floor and getting back to some level of organization is therapeutic.


Start a new novel. This is my agent’s favorite way for his clients to take their minds off of finished projects. I agree. Immersing in a new project is very distracting. The only catch is the necessity of taking a break from the new project when it’s time to revisit the one that’s been on vacation.


Revisit life. This includes retail therapy (a.k.a. shopping), meeting pals for lunch (and probably picking up the bill since I’ve been ignoring them), exercising, and generally indulging in treats that I put off for the sake of the work in progress.


Do you put your manuscripts away for a while after you’ve finished them? If so, how do you distract yourself during manuscript vacations?

27 comments:

  1. I do. I have a couple that have been living in the drawer for a while. Now that I'm finished with my revisions of my main project, I might take one of them out, or I might just start something new.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely do this. In fact, I've had one taking a break for almost a year while I wrote another, and it's been amazingly helpful to come back to it with new perspective. Amazingly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! School!! It takes all my time and provides about a 10-month break from my novels. :/ Probably not the best, but I can't ignore school! However, I've cracked down on my novel revisions, and made it through the thing in 2 months!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Interesting, Bish. Now I'm curious what "a while" means. : )

    Amazing is the word, Janet. It's so hard for me to step away from a project, but what a difference this makes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cynthia - I do put them away for a while, usually a month. I have a couple that are permanently put away. I chalk those up to writing experience. I tend to revisit life before getting back at it. When I read your blog, I think wow she writes like it is soo easy. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just described my life perfectly right now. I'm taking a much needed vacay from my writing, and I'm doing all of the things you suggested so I don't go back before I'm ready. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You know it's funny, I JUST had this very experience (and I am terribly impatient). I put away a book I'd almost finished the first draft of, but couldn't figure out what was wrong, worked on another one, did some other things and remembered it. I went back and re-read and I've fallen in love all over again!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh distracting oneself is so difficult! I know what you mean...once I'm done, I usually "step away" for about a month and it feels like FOREVER! Still, though, my mind meanders innocently back to my story, even though I'm supposed to be on "vacation" from it.

    I end up catching up on life stuff, too, and reading other books.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ashley, I think you win the prize for the best distraction from a novel. School would definitely pull me away. I'm so impressed that you're writing while in school AND that you revised in two months! That's amazing.

    Aww, thanks Maeve. I know what you mean about having a few manuscripts put away permanently, although I can't bring myself to throw them in the garbage, either.

    My pleasure, E.R. Enjoy your break! : )

    Oh, Lisa, that is so great that you've fallen in love all over again with your manuscript. This vacation stuff really is amazing.

    Reading other books is a great distraction, Barbara. I do, however, find that when I'm reading I tend to think about my vacationing manuscript more than if I'm writing something new. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I do, but I start writing something else. Anything rather than clean! ;-D

    ReplyDelete
  11. I am a HUGE believer in letting my manuscripts "percolate." Like you, I come back to it with much greater clarity. I think this is a skill that comes with experience. Most of us have to go through rejections on a ms that wasn't "done" before we finally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Attacking my TBR list is always part of my break away from writing. It gives me perspective on what writing I like and don't.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Like Lydia, I like to break from my current WIP and read. Doesn't necessarily have to be the same genre, but sometimes seeing what is out there gives me fresh eyes to look at my own work.

    ReplyDelete
  14. LOL, Jenn, but I hear you. Cleaning is not nearly as fun as writing. : )

    You make such a good point, MG. Learning to put a manuscript away for a little vacation was definitely a lesson I learned the hard way--by rushing a story that was not done. Never good.

    Absolutely, Lydia and Julie: Reading always gives me a fresh perspective on my writing. I love that. And I enjoy books and magazines on the different aspects of writing as well as my fiction TBR pile.

    Thanks for the wonderful comments, everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm too much of a busybody for breaks. Besides, I love the editing process. The initial draft is what kills me. All that coming up with stuff is not as easy as fixing what's already there.

    Congratulations on reaching 100 member! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I find taking 3-4 weeks away from my ms to be refreshing. It does give me new perspective. However, I'm finding it impossible to focus on a new project until my current one is completely finalized. And I'm not sure I will ever get to that point. So I'm a bit stuck. :P

    ReplyDelete
  18. I couldn't agree with you more, David. I don't love taking a break. I LOVE the editing and revising, fixing what I've written. But I have learned that, for me, the manuscript vacation makes a HUGE difference. It's kind of crazy.

    I can understand not being able to start something new, Nancy. And I can also understand not being sure if a manuscript is ever done. I hesitate to read my published books because I'm sure I'd want to fix something--and can't, of course. : )

    ReplyDelete
  19. I definitely agree with starting a new novel during the break. I rather wish the break wasn't necessary, too. But I'm glad for how well it works.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I do put mine away, and my distractions are mostly the same as yours--- getting organized, doing all the things I had slacked on doing, and spending lots of time with my family.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm on a manuscript vacation myself, so this was a very timely post. I always worry when I do this that I'll "lose" the book. One of the things I do to distract myself is make lots of trips to the library, stack up on books, and read, read, read.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Boy do I wish the break wasn't necessary, Marcia. I endure it because it works and it sounds like you do the same.

    Aww, spending lots of time with family is always good, Peggy. : )

    That's interesting, Doralynn. I must admit that I've never considered losing the book while it's away, but I can certainly see how that would be a fear. Happy reading as you continue with your vacation!

    Great comment, Carol! And thank you for the nice compliment! : )

    ReplyDelete
  23. Cynthia - I am looking forward to reading "Buck Fever" this weekend. Can't wait to get started. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Awww, Maeve, thank you for reading Buck Fever!!! That's awesome. I hope you enjoy it! : )

    ReplyDelete
  25. A manuscript vacation is necessary. I draft something new while I'm on one.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I find starting something new works best for me, too, Medeia. Thanks for stopping by. : )

    ReplyDelete