Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What’s In Your Survival Kit?


Survival kits are not just for outdoor enthusiasts. Life can be tough. We all need things to get us through the rough spots, whether these be first drafts (pause to shudder), the marshy middles of our writing projects, unexpected bad news, or those days when everything goes wrong.
Here are some of the items in my survival kit:

Sustenance. Sure, protein bars are great when hiking, but when I'm at my desk and thrashing through a first draft (which I’ve been doing this summer), I go for jellybeans. Jelly Belly jellybeans, to be specific. I find they are great sustenance during tough writing times. They heal. I’m pretty sure this a scientific fact. When the times get tough, the tough pop jellybeans.


First Aid Supplies. I don’t know about you, but I can be my own worst enemy. When I am writing, I can wallow like a water buffalo in pools of self-doubt. That’s when I apply a hearty dose of reality as if it were antibiotic cream. I remind myself that what I am working on does not need to be perfect. I can always revise. Revisions are first aid for broken and bruised, scratched and messy writing.


Water. It soothes. It hydrates. It is a necessity for survival. So is music. Unlike water, it inspires. When I am writing, it can help me get through the toughest parts of the process (another shudder as I consider the first draft). When I am having a bad, bad day, music is therapeutic.


Flashlight . . . or a Good Book. When out in the wilderness at night, a flashlight could be really helpful to a lost hiker. Anyone who reads knows that a great book is also helpful for finding a way out of a rotten day or rough period. Call it escapism. Reading is fabulous, too, I think, for writers needing some breathing space away from an ornery manuscript. Reading feeds writing. Not only does a writer get a break, but she (or he) refuels and recharges.


What’s in your survival kit? I bet it’s interesting!

29 comments:

  1. Ha, I have to say I don't really like jelly beans--or else I suck them for the flavor and then spit the chewy part out. LOL Water and music and revision = good stuff though. And I used to LOVE reading a good book by flashlight; I was the appointed read-aloud-person when my family used to go camping. Such fun!

    Thanks also for Liking my author page! I never thought of making a page for each book. Interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're the second person to bring up survival kits on their blog recently. Is there some kind of emergency preparedness blogfest going on? I'm kidding, but seriously, that's awesome that you're posting this (and yes, I do have a couple long books in my kit, and a mini chess board).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was reading about this on Doralynn's blog maybe a day or so ago. It really makes me worry that I am not prepared.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is an awesome post!! I love your survival kit. Mine has to include chocolate though too...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great ideas!
    I don't have the mindset to write today, so I'm going for my flashlight and reading instead!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great post. Terrific analogies. As you know, I'm all into survival right now... with all those asteroids and comets heading our way. And I'm stacking up on books and putting them in my survival kit... along with music. Like you said, gotta have music. Laughed out loud at this: "When the times get tough, the tough pop jellybeans."

    ReplyDelete
  7. Carol, your comment about spitting out the "used up" jelly beans made me laugh and reminded me of Bunnicula by Deborah and James Howe! Love that story.

    You might not believe this, David and J.L., but I had written this post before the earthquake that rocked us a bit yesterday. I was inspired more by trying to survive my first draft than by natural events.

    I am with you, Lisa, except that I'm not supposed to have chocolate. Thus, the jelly beans.

    Happy reading, Kelly! Love your latest blog idea, btw.

    Thanks, Doralynn! I don't even want to think about those comets and asteroids. Eeek.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A window. Music. Chocolate. Tortilla chips. A good book. I think that's it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, and you so have to go through and make sure there's enough food in those survival kits. We pulled ours out when our boys were teens and looked at the amount of food for the 72-hour kit, and it would have been enough for a single teenage boy's snack. =D

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice list, Carol. How did I forget the tortilla chips???

    Donna, that is too funny. I'm not sure how anyone would be able to stock enough food for teenage boys in a survival kit! : )

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Brilliant post. I love it.
    There has to be chocolate in my survival kit--lots and lots of chocolate :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We actually have a survival closet. Seriously. I will live in my closet if I have to do so. :P

    ReplyDelete
  13. Duct tape. And a bottle of wine. That should get me through any apocalyptic event.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the items in your survival kit.:)

    For me, I must have my Lifesavers sour gummies or jelly belly sours.

    When it gets really bad, I go for the whiskey sour.

    See the trend? LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello! I love the name of your blog!
    I've had a very full day ... so I'd be taking a comfy pillow in my survival kit LOL
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great items, everyone! I love the survival closet! Especially if it is stocked with wine and a whiskey sour and a pillow! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I absolutely agree that reading feeds writing. It's my best inspiration. And I need to drink more water!

    I've left an award for you at my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sunglasses, kleenex, a book, a notebook and pen, lip balm, mints, water, fresh fruit, phone.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Spiral and clicker pencil, water, good light, a book, a quiet space and my muse.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I always take a "survival" pack on hikes just in case. I like the idea of putting a book in your survival gear!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Me, too, MG! And thank you for the blog award! : )

    Great suggestions, Marcia and Bish. Thanks!

    Very smart, Kmckendry. And welcome! : )

    ReplyDelete
  22. We had a big old fire blaze through our area 3 years ago, and we lost power for days! Flashlights, batteries, old-fashioned radio, water bottles, etc. My writing survival kit? Chocolate and water. That's all I need.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is an AWESOME post! My survival kit? Hm... I guess I'd say a place to walk where people aren't going to judge me if I talk to myself, since that's how I plot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cynthia - I love this analogy. I think I would have to add a camera. So many things to capture and revisit.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Julie, that fire sounds scary. I don't know about you, but I tend to take the power for granted until it goes away.

    Thanks, Peggy! I love your comment!

    A camera! That's a great addition, Maeve.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great kit!

    I need chocolate, Diet Coke, journals, and an escape (as well as a writerly education) through reading novels and blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Great point about reading blogs, Medeia. I've decided that I need to add the internet and plenty of battery power to my survival kit. : )

    Absolutely, Aguilar! Jelly beans are awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I like that you included Reality in your kit. As writers, sometimes our expectations get a little out of whack, so that's a good thing to keep on hand. Also, Mountain Dew. Please don't forget the Mountain Dew.

    Becca @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete