Monday, March 1, 2010

Lies? All Lies?

Let’s be honest: Writer fib. Or, at the very least, they stretch and mangle the truth as if it was a blob of Silly Putty. Frankly, it’s part of the fun of being a writer.

For example, before writing Dog Gone and Buck Fever, I wrote a novel that twisted truths that I couldn’t otherwise share. I was working for the CIA at the time, before the years I spent writing and editing elementary school textbooks. My CIA job was not particularly thrilling, but it gave me access to employee information. So, when I discovered that a certain supervisor was using his position in a less than appropriate way, I documented his nonsense in my novel. I expanded upon his shenanigans and used them, along with the (slightly exaggerated) slimy details I had at my fingertips. Of course I was careful not to name the man. I mean, who wants to be sued? Oh, and I published this novel under a different name. When the book became a best seller, the guy quit his job and moved to another state. I’m pretty sure he took on a new identity in his attempt to start over.

I share this because last week Bish Denham (http://bish-randomthoughts.blogspot.com) nominated me for a “Creative Writer Blogger Award.” Thanks, Bish!

The award comes with five things that I’m supposed to do:

1. Thank the person who gave the award and link them. Check.

2. Add the award to your blog. Check. It’s the spot art above. The yellow faced dude with the Pinocchio nose.

3. Tell six outrageous lies about yourself and one truth. Check. Oh, wait… Did you not realize that I’ve already lied to you six times? Okay, more than six times.

4. Nominate six creative liars ... I mean, writers and link them. Check.

Shannon Hitchcock (http://shannonhitchcockwriter.blogspot.com)

Tess Hilmo (http://tesshilmo.blogspot.com) Check her out—she’s got a novel coming out!

Jeannine Norris (http://jeanninenorris-childrensauthor.blogspot.com)

Sarah Dooley (http://swdooley.blogspot.com) Sarah has already won this award, but she also has a novel coming out and, so, should be mentioned again.

5. Let your nominees know they've been nominated. Okay, I’m on it (or did I just lie to you again?)

That wraps up the Monday blog. No lie. *wink, wink*

3 comments:

  1. thanks, Cynthia. And, you must dish more on that novel ... what's the title? and did you really use a pen name? that is SO interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh you are sneaky Cynthia! Did you really write and edit textbooks?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bish, you win the car and the trip to Hawaii (er, um, I may be fibbing about the prizes, too)! Yes, I did write and edit textbooks. Loved it. I did interview with the CIA once, but it was not a good fit. Surprise-surprise.

    ReplyDelete