Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Quotes from the 2010 SCBWI Summer Conference

I’m back from another amazing SCBWI Summer Conference. My head is spinning (in a good way) from all the information, inspiration, and insights that I soaked up over the long weekend. This actually trumps the jet lag and exhaustion. Sort of amazing, really. Who needs aspirin?

Anyway, I thought I’d share some of my favorite quotes from the weekend.

Regarding writing advice: “Don’t believe everything you hear…” Jon Scieszka (He went on to say, by the way, that this advice included what he had to say in his keynote talk.)

Regarding luck and it’s significance in publishing: “You can do all the right things. . .but sometimes the dominoes have to fall the right way.” Gordon Korman

“Fill yourself up to overflowing and then give it all back.” E.B. Lewis

Regarding research: “Living people tell you things that you don’t expect.”

“Kids read to find hope.” Rachel Vail

“What you experience while writing, we will experience by reading.” Gennifer Choldenko

“Find time for your subconscious.” Gennifer Choldenko

Regarding finding one’s voice in story: “Your voice is you.” Jennifer Rees; “Voice is the heart and soul of the writer.” Jennifer Rees

I love quotes. Don’t you? I hope you loved these. : )

2 comments:

  1. Oh Cynthia, these are wonderful and so very inspiring as well. They are food for thought and something that I need to write and place in front of me as I work. So glad that you had a wonderful time at the conference. I am told that the LA con is the one that everyone should try to attend. I have only gone to the ones in NY. Thanks so much for sharing.
    Hugs to you beautiful.
    V

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the L.A. conference is one that everyone should try to attend. Although this is easier said than done when one doesn't live in CA. Still, this yearly conference is my favorite of all the conferences. There are so many workshops, keynote speeches, opportunities to meet fabulous writers and illustrators, etc. It's a fun-filled weekend.
    Hugs right back to you, V! Thanks so much for stopping by! : )

    ReplyDelete