Monday, August 30, 2010

Meet Critter!

While I was in L.A., attending the Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators conference, I met a wonderful person—Christy Evers. Christy writes children’s books, which explains why she was at the conference. However, in addition to writing, she has also been the keeper of Critter. Who or what is Critter, you ask? Read on, my friends.

Critter is a slightly bovine-looking, extremely cute chunk of art created by Ian Sands. Mr. Sands is an art teacher. According to his blog, http://iansands.blogspot.com/, he encourages public, collaborative and interactive art. Sounds great, right? Wait, there is more! Ian Sands started a venture called the Lost Critter project. He made a lot of critters and set them free. This is where Christy comes in. She got her hands on one of these critters and has been sending her guy to visit children's writers and bloggers all over the country. After Critter has finished hanging out with sixteen different writers, Christy is going to auction him off and donate the proceeds to charity—St. Jude’s Children’s Hospital http://www.stjude.org/ . How cool is that?

At this very moment, I have Critter with me as I type (actually, he’s in the front seat of my car, anxious for his first New Jersey adventure). He arrived safe and sound (and a little hungry, I think) in the mail on Saturday. Thank you USPS. So, stay tuned, Critter fans (because you are a fan by now, right?). I will be showing Critter around my part of the world and doing my best to entertain him. After we have some fun together, I will blog about our escapades. Then, Critter will be off to see author number fourteen—the talented and fabulous Jill S. Alexander, author of The Sweetheart of Prosper County. I adore her and so will you. Lucky, lucky Critter gets to go to Texas to visit Jill. Hmmm, maybe I’ll go with him. Love Texas.

Want to learn more about Critter? Check out Christy's blog: http://christyscreativespace.blogspot.com/

15 comments:

  1. this is so neat! and, I loved The Sweetheart of Prosper County. Have fun, Critter!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I love the picture. It looks like Critter and your kitty are good friend already. :0)

    Thnx for being a host! I can't wait to see what Critter gets to do in NJ! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the cat, lol! I'm sure critter will have an awesome time! :)

    Angela @ The Bookshelf Muse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm SO happy he's visiting with you. I know he'll keep you entertained. He's a wonderful houseguest.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the wonderful comments, everyone! I'm thrilled to be able to have Critter as a guest. And so is kitty. Apparently Critter smells yummy because I could NOT get a picture without the furry nose and whiskers involved. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey, what's an author have to do to get on the critter list? Colorado would be a fine place to vacation!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Enjoy Critter! I was lucky enough to host him for a while in Illinois!
    Critter's quite the character!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Critter is so cute and awesome :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet Critter would love Colorado, Justin. Try contacting Christy to see what Critter's agenda looks like.

    Thanks for commenting, Kelly and Liehn! Critter is a character and very cute indeed. We're having big fun together! : )

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very cute I love the cat I'm a big cat lover !

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you! Kitty was very, very fascinated with Critter. It really was funny. I am glad I caught a picture of them bonding. ; )

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've two kitties he liked hanging with too. It must be the scent of all the places he's been!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm sure you are right. Or, Critter is a cat guy. The dog didn't pay him any attention at all (which is probably a good thing).

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ahh, thank you, Ian! And thank you for Critter! He's fabulous!

    ReplyDelete